Enter to win a set of books fit for dad! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Dad” and you’ll be entered to win the set. Hurry, contest ends Wednesday, June 17. **Canadian addresses only**
Kissinger by Alistair Horne: Based on full access to the subject and his papers, Kissinger is an intimate portrait of a man, a country, and a presidency at a critical point. From the blowup in the Middle East, to détente with Russia, to the opening of the door to China, the United States’ response to the pivotal events of 1973 — and Kissinger’s crucial role in the formulation of that response — continues to shape and influence United States foreign policy today.
The Night of the Gun by David Carr: Do we remember only the stories we can live with? Those that make us look good in the rearview mirror? In The Night of the Gun, David Carr redefines memoir with the revelatory story of his years as an addict and chronicles his journey from crack-house regular to regular columnist for The New York Times. Built on sixty videotaped interviews, legal and medical records, and three years of reporting, The Night of the Gun is a ferocious tale that uses the tools of journalism to fact-check the past. Carr’s investigation of his own history reveals that his odyssey through addiction, recovery, cancer, and life as a single parent was far more harrowing — and, in the end, more miraculous — than he allowed himself to remember. Over the course of the book, he digs his way through a past that continues to evolve as he reports it.
Fool’s Gold by Gillian Tett: From award-winning Financial Times journalist Gillian Tett, who enraged Wall Street leaders with her newsbreaking warnings of a crisis more than a year ahead of the curve, Fool’s Gold tells the astonishing unknown story at the heart of the 2008 meltdown. Drawing on exclusive access to J.P. Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon and a tightly bonded team of bankers known on Wall Street as the “Morgan Mafia,” as well as in-depth interviews with dozens of other key players, including Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, Tett brings to life in gripping detail how the Morgan team’s bold ideas for a whole new kind of financial alchemy helped to ignite a revolution in banking, and how that revolution escalated wildly out of control.
Old City Hall by Robert Rotenberg: In the tradition of defence lawyers turned authors like Scott Turow and John Grisham, Robert Rotenberg delivers a legal thriller rich with his forensic skill and insider knowledge, taking readers on a tour of Toronto from the Don Jail to the towers of Bay Street and into the shadowy corridors of the Old City Hall courthouse. Elmore Leonard has Florida; John Lescroart, San Francisco; Robert Parker, Boston; Scott Turow, Chicago; and now, with Old City Hall, Rotenberg offers us a page-turning legal thriller set in a diverse and surprising Toronto and filled with unexpected characters and plot twists that keep you guessing until the very end.
Prisoner of the State by Zhao Ziyang: How often can you peek behind the curtains of one of the most secretive governments in the world? Prisoner of the State is the first book to give readers a front row seat to the secret inner workings of China’s government. It is the story of Premier Zhao Ziyang, the man who brought liberal change to that nation and who, at the height of the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, tried to stop the massacre and was dethroned for his efforts.
Please read the rules and regulations after the link.
Father’s Day Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Sweepstakes may only be entered in Canada (excluding Quebec).
1. How to Enter. Visit http://www.simonsaysblog.ca
and follow the directions to enter between ___3:01 p.m. EST on June 11, 2009 and ends at 11:59a.m. EST on June 17, 2009___. All entrants must have a valid email address. Online ballot contains: contestant’s name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. Limit 1 entry per person/email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Simon and Schuster (”Sponsor”) and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Delivery of prizes requires a street address (no P.O. Boxes). Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
2. Start/End Dates. Sweepstakes begin at 3:01 p.m. EST on June 11, 2009 and ends at 11:59a.m. EST on June 17, 2009.
3. Eligibility. Participation open only to legal residents of Canada (except Quebec residents) who have reached the age of majority as of date of entry. Employees, officers & directors of Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies, or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. Subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and regulations.
4. Random Drawing/Odds. Winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received on or about June 17, 2009 at 12 pm in Markham, Ontario. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received during the contest period. Selected entrants will be notified before June 18, 2009 by the Simon & Schuster Canada Marketing Department. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes.
5. Prizes. There will be 1 prize awarded, consisting of a copy each of Prisoner of the State, Fool’s Gold, Old City Hall, Kissinger and The Night of the Gun. Approximate retail value of each prize is: $125.00 Canadian. [Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of any prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value]
6. Notification. Selected entrants will be notified by email and will be required to correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question. If any selected entrant cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any selected entrant rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Sweepstakes rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Limit one prize per person, or household.
7. Conditions. Participation in Sweepstakes and acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and province), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Sweepstakes or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants, and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with participation in Sweepstakes, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules or attempt to interfere with this Sweepstakes in any way shall be disqualified. There is no purchase or sales presentation required to participate. A purchase does not increase odds of winning.
8. Additional Terms. In case of dispute as to the identity of any entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Sweepstakes, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, Sponsor will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Sweepstakes or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
625 Cochrane Drive, Suite 600, Markham, Ontario