Mark Bittman’s new book, Kitchen Express, is out now! It contains 404 simple seasonal recipes that can be made in 20 minutes or less.
So, we challenge you to be the best short-order (pun intended) cook around and tweet an original recipe in 140 characters or less. You could win a copy of the book and Internet fame.
– You MUST use the hashtag #SSCExpress in your tweet or you won’t be eligible; we won’t be able to track your entries.
– The top ten recipes as decided by us will be posted here, for all the world to see, for the week of July 20th. Blog readers, friends, family and acquaintances will have a chance to vote for their favourite recipe.
– The top four of these will be judged on originality and tastiness by a hungry panel selected by Simon & Schuster.
(Rules and Regulations after the link)
KITCHEN EXPRESS Twitter Contest (“Contest”)
Official Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Contest may only be entered in Canada (excluding Quebec).
1. How to Enter. Log onto http://www.twitter.com/simonsayscanada and follow the directions to enter between 9:01 a.m. EST on July 13th, 2009 until 11:59 p.m. EST on July 17th, 2009 (the “Contest Period”). All entrants must have a valid email address. Contestants must tweet an original recipe in 140 characters or less and include the hashtag #SSCExpress. The recipe submitted must be in accordance with the Recipe Requirements (see below).
Limit 1 entry per person/email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Simon and Schuster Inc. (the “Sponsor”) and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Delivery of prizes requires a street address (no P.O. Boxes). Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only recpie tweets submitted during the Contest Period will be eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
2. Eligibility. Participation open only to legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) who are of the legal age of majority upon the time of entry. Employees, officers & directors of Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies, or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter.
3. Recipe Requirements. Your submitted Recipe must never have been previously exhibited publicly or selected as a winner in any other contest. To be eligible for entry in the Contest, your Recipe must meet the following requirements:
Length: maximum 140 characters
Additionally, by participating in the Contest, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules (the “Rules”) and by the interpretation of these Rules by the Sponsor, and further warrants and represents that the Recipe:
i. is original to him/her and that the entrant has all necessary rights in and to the Recipe to enter the Recipe in the Contest;
i. does not and will not violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation;
i. will not give rise to any claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or infringe on any rights and/or interests of any third party, or give rise to any claims for payment whatsoever; and
i. is not and will not be defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic or obscene, and further that it will not discuss or involve, without limitation, any of the following:
§ Explicit, graphic or excessive sexual activity;
§ Crude, vulgar or offensive language;
§ Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups;
§ Content which endorses, condones or discusses any illegal or inappropriate activity, behaviour or conduct;
§ Personal information of individuals, including without limitation, names, addresses (physical or e-mail), phone and fax numbers;
§ Conduct or other activities in violation of these Rules;
§ Commercial messages, comparisons or solicitations for products or services;
§ URLs or links to any websites; and
§ Any other content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify from the Contest any Recipe that it deems, in its sole discretion, to violate the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules.
4.Winner Selection. Between July 20th and July 27th, 2009, a shortlist of ten (10) recipes chosen by a panel of judges appointed by the Sponsor will be made public on the Sponsor’s blog. All entries will be entered into an online poll where the public may vote on their favourite. On or about July 27th, 2009 at 12:00 p.m. EST in Markham, Ontario, a panel of judges appointed by the Sponsor will judge the top four publicly voted Recipes submitted on the basis of originality, creativity and uniqueness. The Recipe with the highest score will be the winner. Odds of your entry being selected by the judging panel depend on the number and caliber of entries received during the Contest Period. All criteria will be weighed equally. In the event of a tie, the Recipe with the highest score on creativity will be selected as the winner. Judging will be completed and the selected entrant will be contacted by July 31st, 2009 by the Simon & Schuster Canada Marketing Department. If you have not been contacted by this date, you may assume that your Recipe is not the winner.
BEFORE BEING DECLARED A WINNER, the selected entrant (and his/her parent/legal guardian) must sign a declaration & release prepared by the Sponsor.
5. Prizes. There will be one (1) prize awarded, consisting of one (1) book: Kitchen Express. Total approximate retail value of prize is: $32.00 CDN (the “Prize”). Prize must be accepted as awarded and is not transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions except at Sponsor’s option. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Prize with one of equal or greater value.
6. Notification. The selected entrant (and his/her parent/legal guardian) will be notified by email. If the selected entrant (and his/her parent/legal guardian) cannot be contacted within ten (10) calendar days of first notification attempt; if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable; if the selected entrant rejects his/her prize; and/or in the event of noncompliance with these Rules, the Prize will be forfeited and the Sponsor reserves the right to select and an alternate winner from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, the selected entrant will not receive any other prize or compensation in lieu of the Prize.
7. Conditions. Participation in the Contest and acceptance of the Prize constitutes the selected entrant’s (and his/her parent/legal guardian’s) permission for Sponsor to use his/her Recipe (as is or as may be edited), name, address (city and province/territory), statements about the contest and/or photograph or other likeness without further compensation, in any publicity or advertisement carried out by the Sponsor in any manner whatsoever, including print, broadcast or the Internet.
By participating, each entrants (and his/her parent/legal guardian) agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability in connection with the Contest, his/her participation therein and/or the acceptance, use or misuse of the Prize or any portion thereof, and further against any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy or any related cause of action.
8. Additional Terms. In case of dispute as to the identity of any entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Sponsor will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT (OR THEIR PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN) TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. Sponsor. Simon and Schuster Canada, 625 Cochrane Drive, Suite 600, Markham, Ontario L3R 9R9